Why is AV fistula surgery performed?
AV fistula surgery is a component of an entire dialysis treatment plan for renal failure . renal failure may be a life-threatening condition. It causes a buildup of waste and fluid within the body thanks to poor kidney function. Dialysis uses a machine to filter wastes and additional fluid from the blood.
People with renal failure may require dialysis permanently or for a brief time. Sometimes, renal failure that happens suddenly (acute kidney failure) are often reversed by rapidly treating the cause. Reversible causes can include a drug overdose, shock, or a kidney infection.
AV fistula surgery is employed for long-term dialysis for permanent or chronic kidney damage. people that have AV fistula surgery could also be expecting a kidney transplant.
How to prepare for AV fistula surgery?
Steps to prepare for AV fistula surgery are:
- Answering all questions on your medical record and medications. This includes prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, herbal treatments, and vitamins. it’s an honest idea to hold a current list of your medical conditions, previous surgeries, medications, and allergies in the least times.
- Getting preoperative testing as directed. Testing varies counting on your age, health, and sort of anesthesia. Testing may include blood tests, special kidney tests, a chest X-ray, EKG (electrocardiogram), and other tests as required .
- Losing excess weight before the surgery through a healthy diet and exercise plan
- If you’ve got high vital sign , ask your doctor about the way to control it before and after surgery. Good vital sign control can help decrease your risk of complications with AV fistula surgery.
- Not eating or drinking just before surgery as directed. Your surgery could also be cancelled if you eat or drink too on the brink of the beginning of surgery because you’ll choke on stomach contents during anesthesia.
- Stopping smoking as soon as possible. Even quitting for just a couple of days are often beneficial and help the healing process.
- Taking dialysis treatments and medications exactly as directed